Pigment Laser treatment is a cosmetic procedure that your skin doctors use to treat various skin issues. It includes skin discolouration such as melasma, acne scars, and even removing unwanted tattoos on your body. Skin doctors consider this non-invasive and non-surgical procedure as one of the safe and advanced laser treatments used for different aesthetic concerns. You may visit a skin clinic in Johor Bahru to receive this treatment. In addition, this blog will discuss how the Pigment Laser is used to treat melasma, acne scars and tattoo removal.
How Does Pigment Laser (Pico / Q Switch laser) Works?
Pigment Laser technology is known to deliver visible skin improvement results after a few treatment sessions. It involves minimum downtime, and doctors use this method for your face and various part of your body. Besides, it boosts elastin production, which helps you get softer and younger-looking skin.
Pigment Laser targets pigmented areas (melasma, scars, and tattoos) and send ultra-short energy pulses. It breaks the skin pigments into tiny particles that your body naturally removes afterwards. It is an extremely precise treatment. The pulses of energy used during the procedure are highly concentrated; however, it doesn’t affect the outermost skin layer. You may experience slight discomfort, such as a stinging sensation, but it will not burn your skin.
Why Should You Get A Pigment Laser (Pico / Q Switch laser) Treatment?
Due to Pigment Laser’s various benefits, patients and skin doctors prefer them to treat various skin conditions. Let’s learn about the various benefits of the Pigment Laser.
- It is a highly targeted treatment, which implies that the risk of possible skin damage is minimum. Therefore, it is safe to use on your face and other body parts.
- It doesn’t need any downtime. You can return to your daily activities after receiving the treatment. Some patients might experience temporary redness and swelling that subsides after a few hours.
- This treatment doesn’t cause pain. Patients might experience a little temporary discomfort.
- After undergoing a few treatment sessions, you will likely experience the desired results.
- Usually, this treatment doesn’t cause plenty of side effects. However, the results might vary among patients. Hence, during the consultation phase, your skin doctor would medically evaluate your skin condition to determine whether the Pigment Laser should be best-suited for you. If they feel this treatment can worsen your hyperpigmentation, they might suggest an alternative treatment procedure. If you are prone to developing cold sores, inform your doctor. With all this critical information, you and your skin doctor can make an informed treatment decision.
How does Pigment Laser (Pico / Q Switch laser) help treat Melasma?
Besides various medications and conditions such as pregnancy or hypothyroidism, prolonged sun exposure is one of the critical causes of hyperpigmentation and melasma. Pigment Laser targets discoloured skin without harming the surrounding skin. It makes this process a safe treatment. However, your skin doctor at an aesthetic clinic JB might recommend avoiding this treatment during pregnancy or when breastfeeding. Usually, a minimum of three months after childbirth, it is safe to get laser treatment, including Pigment Laser. For your health and safety, it is better to follow your doctor’s advice in this regard.
Pigment Laser penetrates your skin to target the pigmented areas. The purpose is to reduce the signs of discolouration and pigmentation to help you get even-toned skin. The process starts below your skin surface. This enhanced laser treatment targets your skin in increments of one-trillionth of a skin. As the process is faster, the energy converts into pressure instead of heat. It penetrates the pigments and breaks them into tiny particles, which your body further flushes out.
You may experience a little discomfort, similar to a stinging sensation. The process lasts for about ten minutes. After a few treatment sessions, you can expect to notice visible changes in the form of smother and even-toned skin.
How does Pigment Laser (Pico / Q Switch laser) help treat Acne Scars?
Inflammation of acne blemishes causes scars. Pigment Laser penetrates your skin layers to cause controlled thermal damage in targeted areas. The laser energy further breaks the scar tissues. After a few treatment sessions, you will notice visible changes in the form of reduced appearance of scars and improved skin tone.
How does Pigment Laser (Pico / Q Switch laser) help in tattoo removal?
Your skin doctor Johor Bahru may also use a Pigment Laser to remove unwanted tattoos from different parts of your body. It breaks the tattoo pigments effectively, which your body further removes naturally. However, it is better to remember that this treatment might not effectively remove every colour pigment.
What to Do Before, During, And After Pigment Laser (Pico / Q Switch laser) Treatment?
Before you receive a Pigment Laser for your skin concerns, it is better to consult your skin specialist in JB to understand whether this is the best treatment for your condition. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) have approved this treatment, and it’s a safe procedure for treating various skin irregularities. Moreover, this treatment boosts collagen and elastin production, helps reduce pigmentation and scars, removes tattoos, and treats many other skin conditions.
First, you need to consult your skin doctor. Based on your skin concerns and considering your medical history, they will determine whether it is safe for you to receive a Pigment Laser. It helps ensure you achieve optimal results from the treatment. Inform your doctor if you are prone to cold sores, as your doctor might suggest a prescription before starting the treatment or opt for alternative procedures. Your skin doctor may not recommend Pigment Laser treatment if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Before Pigment Laser (Pico / Q Switch laser) Treatment
Before receiving the treatment, it is important to follow the guidelines as advised by your skin doctor. The following preventive measures can help you achieve better results from Pigment Laser treatment.
- Tanned skin is prone to developing adverse reactions from Pigment Laser. It includes sun exposure, tanning beds, etc. Hence, you must avoid tanning your skin before the treatment.
- Avoid excessive sun exposure before the treatment. Your skin doctor might advise a suitable sunscreen with SPF 30 or more based on your skin type. It is also better to cover the area that is supposed to be treated 4 weeks before the treatment. Along with covered clothes, you can wear wide-brimmed hats to avoid the harmful effects of sun rays.
- You should also avoid applying skincare products with AHAs and BHAs, as it might increase your skin’s photosensitivity.
- Precaution measure while taking medications such as minocycline, tetracycline, or doxycycline that can cause sun sensitivity.
- Stop using Retinol at least 4 weeks before the treatment or as advised by your doctor.
- Refrain from waxing your skin
- Avoid microdermabrasion treatment before Pigment Laser (Pico / Q Switch laser).
Day of Pigment Laser (Pico / Q Switch laser) Treatment
To get desired results from your treatment, you must be mindful of the following tips on the day of the treatment.
- Stay hydrated on the day of the appointment – Staying dehydrated or coming with an empty stomach on your treatment can cause vertigo or lightheadedness. You are likely to experience certain discomfort during the treatment. To avoid the feeling of weakness, you must stay hydrated and have a light meal before you come for your appointment.
- Stop smoking – Smoking can slow down your body’s healing process. Further, it increases the risk of complications and even causes infection or scarring. Hence, it is better to avoid smoking throughout your treatment period.
- Avoid taking aspirin or ibuprofen – These medications can cause bruising after the treatment. If you want to alleviate your discomfort during the treatment, you can take Tylenol before the treatment.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes – If you are visiting your doctor for tattoo removal, it is better to wear loose-fitting clothes on the day of your treatment. Each treatment session might cause you to experience a feeling of sunburn. Wearing clothes that scratch or graze the treated area may add to your discomfort. Hence, wear proper loose-fitting clothes to avoid discomfort after the treatment.
- Avoid applying skincare products – On the day of your treatment, visit your doctor without makeup or other skin care products. Ensure that you visit your skin doctor’s clinic with clean skin.
- Anaesthetic creams –Usually, your skin doctor will try to make you feel as comfortable as possible during the treatment. As a result, they might apply a numbing cream on the supposed treated area to lessen the discomfort. For removing tattoos, your doctor might apply cold compresses as well. If you have pain tolerance issues, inform your doctor about the same. They will make arrangements to help alleviate your discomfort.
After Pigment Laser (Pico / Q Switch laser) Treatment
Pigment Laser is a non-invasive procedure and does not require downtime. As a result, your treatment will not disrupt your routine or prevent you from carrying out your daily activities. This laser technology causes a photomechanical reaction in the epidermis, i.e., the uppermost skin layer and boosts elastin and collagen production. Therefore, it needs fewer treatment sessions to achieve visible results.
It targets specific areas and sends ultra-short energy pulses without damaging the surrounding skin tissue. As a result, it causes maximum results with minimum side effects. After the treatment, it is natural to experience a little skin sensitivity, redness and swelling. However, these temporary symptoms may fade within a few hours or days.
You will likely notice visible improvements after a few days of receiving the treatment. It might take more than one treatment session for some patients to notice significant results. Your dermatologist Johor Bahru will likely suggest aftercare tips to improve the results and avoid complications. Moreover, these tips help support the healing of your treated skin tissues. Let’s discuss the aftercare tips further.
- Apply soothing cream as prescribed by your skin doctor – After the treatment, your skin doctor will likely prescribe you a soothing cream. The purpose is to calm down possible inflammation and hydrate your skin. It will further protect your sensitive skin from germs and dirt.
- Apply sun protection – You need to continue to protect your skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays even after the treatment. Otherwise, they can harm your treated skin. Your skin doctor might suggest applying a broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF 30 or more based on your skin type.
- Avoid makeup – Post Pigment Laser treatment, your skin will become more sensitive. Applying cosmetics containing chemicals, oils, fragrances, etc., can block open pores and cause skin irritation. It is better to use organic and chemical-free skincare products. You may consult your doctor to learn about the skincare products you should use post-treatment.
- Avoid scrubs – As your skin will be sensitive after the treatment, scrubbing, rubbing, etc., can cause irritation, inflammation and even scarring. Hence, you must avoid such actions and allow your skin to heal naturally.
- Avoid strenuous activities – You must avoid strenuous activities such as exercising in the gym, swimming, etc., for at least 24 hours after receiving the treatment.
- Stay hydrated – Staying hydrated can help promote the healing process after the treatment, leading to clearer and healthy skin.
- Do not skip cleansing – You must clean your skin regularly after the treatment. It is better to use a gentle, oil-free cleanser to remove germs and dirt. You can ask your doctor to suggest a cleanser based on your skin type.
If you notice signs of blistering, itching or other skin complications after receiving the treatment, consult your skin doctor immediately. In addition, also inform them if you are experiencing pain or bleeding.
Skin clinic in Johor Bahru offers various treatment methods to address different skin concerns. If you are experiencing skin discolouration, such as melasma, or acne scars, or want to remove unwanted tattoos from your body, consult Dr Muniandi from Dermed Clinic. Further, based on your skin concerns and medical history, he can offer you the right treatment to help you achieve the desired results.